Established in 1932 by Dr. Henry Keller
ALYN is the only facility of its kind in Israel and is one of the world’s leading specialists in the active and intensive rehabilitation of children, regardless of religion or ethnic background. The ultimate aim of ALYN is to rehabilitate the children in its care – and their families – and to return them to the community as possible, having provided with the skills to achieve the highest possible level of independence and mobility.
ALYN Hospital History
Established in 1932 by Dr. Henry Keller, an American orthopedist who dedicated himself to voluntary work with physically challenged children in Jerusalem.
As a result of the polio epidemic in Israel in the 1940s and 1950s, and the ensuing emergency situation, the Ministry of Health provided ALYN Hospital with a monastery belonging to the St. Simon Orthodox Church to be used as a hospital. It was here that ALYN provided medical and educational help to approximately 200 children with polio. However, the monastery building was not well-suited for housing a developing rehabilitation center. In 1971, thanks to matching funds generously donated by Malcolm and Dorothy Woldenberg, the ALYN Woldenberg Family Hospital, a modern hospital and rehabilitation facility in the Kiryat Yovel neighborhood of Jerusalem, opened its doors.